The Providence Marathon – No Excuses!

“Few things in life match the thrill of a marathon” – Fred Lebow

It was a weekend when everything came together: a hard marathon training cycle, perfect running weather, wonderful company, and a well-organized race. The tagline “no excuses” was coined, resulting in the fastest half marathon in 13 years for my friend Urvi, a 12-minute personal marathon best for me, and the most unreal feeling ever crossing the finish with a Boston qualifying time. Here is the story of our race weekend in Providence.

Pre-marathon. We took the train down to Providence Saturday afternoon after I had been pacing around the house all morning getting nervous about Sunday. I had trained so hard for this marathon and with two marathons under my belt so far plus having trained well, I knew I had a chance of running a personal best. I just didn’t know how well I could do, and I didn’t want to go into the race too confident. It backfired at the Manchester City Marathon when I was chatting with another running during the early miles, then got one of my breathing episodes when my heart rate went up, and had to stop at mile 4, completely throwing off my time. That race also had a Nor’easter, which I could have used as my excuse but things just didn’t go well at all. Since then, I had sworn to myself to be more focused. I was nervous. Really nervous.

The “expo”. Our train zipped us down to Providence in less than 40 minutes, compared to a car ride that would have taken us at least an hour. Fabulous! Our AirBnB was walking distance from the train station, and we were there in no time. After dropping off our bags, we headed to the expo. It was inside the Providence Mall near the North Face store. Once inside the mall, it was really hard to find. Where were all the runners? Volunteering at the ginormous Boston expo two weeks earlier, we started laughing when we arrived at the Providence “expo” inside an abandoned store with barely any people around. The number and t-shirt pick-up took about a minute, and we were done!

Providence and dinner activities. We strolled around Providence a little bit making sure not to walk too much in anticipation of our race the next day. Urvi had mentioned that Providence was like a mini Boston and it sure felt like that. The capitol was definitely more majestic than the Massachusetts state house but sights like the Omni Parker Hotel and a green line through town, apparently the Providence Heritage Trail, surely reminded us of Boston’s freedom trail. We had dinner at our AirBnB with a fellow Somerville Road Runner, Brendan, his wife Liz and their cute little 2-year old son Declan. Thanks, Urvi for cooking! When we looked at the perfect forecast for the next day (mid forties, cloudy and 1-mile-an-hour winds…), Brendan said “no excuses”, and I took that to heart. A new mantra was born. Whenever conditions are great, there is really no excuse to not run well.

Race morning. After heading to bed at 9:30 pm, we got up well rested around 5 am, had breakfast and walked to the start line. Everything was so easy. I love small races. I loved that about Manchester, too. Boston was surely a highlight, and also my first marathon, but the story of us on the marathon bus nearly peeing our pants experiencing more pain before the marathon than during the race will be forever ingrained in my memory. Providence was so easy. No major crowds but still busy enough. I loved it.

The race. During the race, I kept a few things in my mind: advice from our coach Joe and Deb’s race spreadsheet. Thank you, you guys. You definitely kept me going. Joe’s first piece of advice was: The first 10 miles must feel easy, and I tried to stick to that. I tagged along the 3:45 pace group for a little and took off after a while following Joe’s second recommendation: Let the pace come to you. And hell yeah, it came. Deb (and Laurie) had given me a pep talk a few weeks prior encouraging me that I could run a BQ. Deb sent me a spreadsheet with target paces for the whole 26.2 miles. She had me come in with a 3:36, which I thought was a little aggressive but it wasn’t too far off to what I ended up doing. I just had to make sure to not go out too fast. My first mile ended up being 8:31, which was faster than what I wanted but was still reasonable enough.

The course. My memory of the course isn’t as vivid as what I remembered from Boston when I wrote my race report because I was well familiar with the course. What I do remember is that it was very pleasant, yet not overly scenic, and there was a lot of bike path, which made for flat and fast running but was also a little dull at times because it felt very long and the crowds were thin. Brendan had also told us about a guy who would blast loud music, which you would hear passing his house but also later on the bike path, a lot further away. Supposedly, he was supposed to play “Eye of the Tiger” but it was actually the Rocky theme song. It was AWESOME!

Words in my head. If you are a runner, you know that there is a lot of weird stuff going on in your head while you race. I kept telling myself that there were no excuses to not run well because the conditions were just so perfect. When would I get the chance to do this again having trained so well? Don’t fuck this up! Those words accompanied me until the end. I crossed the half marathon mat in a little under 1:50 and knew I could be on track to do a 3:40, so I kept going. At mile 15, I started getting tired so I had to make little goals. A gel at mile 18 or counting down the miles to 20. After that, I would have to see whether I would hit the wall. I hit the wall during a half marathon before, and it’s the most horrible thing. Everything else is misery for the rest of the race. Luckily, the wall never came.

The end. For the last 6 miles, I kept a steady pace and was passing a lot of people, including a boy who was crying, so I yelled something positive at him. That’s what a marathon does to you. When you pass a lot of people late in the game, you know that things are going well. At mile 23, there was one short hill I had to conquer, and while I was running up, I told myself to relax, and that it was OK to run up the hill slowly. Relax in your head. You can make it up later if you have the energy. Don’t fuck it up now. You’re so close. Around mile 24, I knew I had a shot of breaking 3:40. The last two miles were hard and all about mental strength, telling myself to not fuck this up. As I made the final turn and saw the finish line, my eyes locked in on the clock, and I sprinted as fast as I could. I heard Urvi yelling my name and crossed with a 3:39:52, which later ended up being an official 3:39:39. Urvi and her (surprise guest) husband Jesse were there with a hug, and it was wonderful.

Marathons are hard. There is no denying that. The odds were in my favor this training cycle with the mildest winter Boston had seen in decades and no major injuries. Being well-trained, cautious and mentally strong can make a finish the way I experienced it on Sunday one of the most incredible things, and it’s hard to describe unless you experience it yourself. Would I do it again? Oh yes! But I also know that not every marathon will be like the Providence Marathon (so far I experienced two good ones and one bad one), so for now I can revel in the memories from last weekend. For the love of running! See you at the next race!

PS: Nice job, Brendan on running a 3:23 and to Chris, another Somerville Road Runner, who came in fourth overall in 2:38 with only 3 weeks of running after a stress fracture. How is this possible???

Arrival in Providence. Our AirBnB (and Urvi)

Arrival in Providence. Our AirBnB (and Urvi). Ankunft in Providence. Unser AirBnB (und Urvi).


The Capitol – kinda cool. Das Capitol – echt cool.


The “expo”. When the door looks like that, you know it’s going to be small. Die „Expo”. Wenn die Tür so aussieht, weiß man, das alles sehr klein sein wird.

The final sprint to the finish. Thank you Jesse for capturing that special moment.

The final sprint to the finish. Thank you Jesse for capturing that special moment. Der Sprint ins Ziel am Ende. Danke, Jesse, dass du diesen besonderen Moment festgehalten hast.

Post race with our gold. Thanks again, Jesse for taking this (with Urvi's phone).

Post race with our gold. Thanks again, Jesse for taking this (with Urvi’s phone). Nach dem Rennen mit unserem Gold. Danke nochmal an Jesse für das Foto (mit Urvis Telefon).

„Wenige Dinge im Leben sind so spannend wie der Nervenkitzel eines Marathons” – Fred Lebow

Es war ein Wochenende, an dem alles zusammen kam: hartes Marathon-Training, perfektes Laufwetter, wunderbare Gesellschaft und ein super organisiertes Rennen. Der Spruch „keine Ausreden“ wurde geprägt und darauf folgte der schnellste Halbmarathon in 13 Jahren für meine Freundin Urvi, eine Marathon-Bestzeit von 12 Minuten für mich und das absolut irrealste Gefühl beim Zieleinlauf mit einer Qualifikationszeit für den Boston Marathon. Hier ist die Geschichte unseres Laufwochenendes in Providence.

Vor dem Marathon. Wir fuhren Samstagnachmittag mit dem Zug nach Providence, nachdem ich den ganzen Morgen im Haus herumgeschlichen war und wegen Sonntag ganz nervös wurde. Ich hatte so hart für diesen Marathon trainiert und mit zwei Marathons in der Tasche sowie gut gelaufenem Training wusste ich, dass ich eine Chance auf eine Bestzeit hatte. Ich wusste allerdings nicht, wie gut ich laufen könnte und wollte nicht zu selbstsicher ins Rennen gehen. Beim Manchester City Marathon ging das nach hinten los, als ich mit einer anderen Läuferin plauderte, dann Atemprobleme bekam, meine Herzfrequenz hochging und ich bei Kilometer 6 anhalten musste, was meine Endzeit komplett durcheinander brachte. Bei dem Rennen hatten wir auch einen Regensturm, den ich als meine Ausreden hätte nehmen können, aber es lief einfach alles nicht so gut. Seitdem hatte ich mir geschworen, dass ich mich besser konzentrieren würde. Ich war nervös. Sehr nervös.

Die „Expo”. Unser Zug brachte uns blitzschnell in unter 40 Minuten nach Providence, verglichen mit einer Autofahrt, die mindestens eine Stunde gedauert hätte. Genial! Unser AirBnB war zu Fuß vom Bahnhof aus zu erreichen und wir waren im Nu da. Nachdem wir unser Gepäck abgeladen hatten, ging es weiter zur Expo. Diese war in der Providence-Mall in der Nähe des North-Face-Geschäfts. Als wir in der Mall waren, war alles schwer zu finden. Wo waren die ganzen Läufer? Da wir zwei Wochen vorher bei der riesigen Boston-Expo mitgeholfen hatten, fingen wir bei unserer Ankunft bei der Providence-„Expo“ an zu lachen, denn sie war in einem leerstehenden Geschäft und es war kaum einer da. Das Abholen der Startnummer und des T-Shirts dauerte eine Minute und wir waren fertig!

Providence und das Abendessen. Wir liefen ein bisschen in Providence herum, wollten aber wegen des Rennens am nächsten Tag nicht zu weit gehen. Urvi hatte erwähnt, dass Providence wie ein Mini-Boston war und so fühlte es sich an. Das Capitol war definitiv majestätischer als das State House von Massachusetts, aber Sehenswürdigkeiten wie das Omni Parker Hotel und eine grün durchgezogene Linie durch die Stadt, anscheinend der Providence Heritage Trail, erinnerte uns an den Freedom Trail in Boston. Wir aßen mit unserem Mitläufer der Somerville Road Runners Brendan, seiner Frau Liz und ihrem süßen zweijährigen Sohn Declan zu Abend. Danke fürs Kochen, Urvi! Als wir den perfekten Wetterbericht für den nächsten Tag sahen (7-8 Grad, bewölkt und ein Wind von 1 Meile pro Stunde…), sagte Brendan „keine Ausreden“ und das nahm ich mir zu Herzen. Ein neues Mantra war geboren. Immer wenn die Bedingungen gut sind, gibt es wirklich keine Ausreden, nicht gut zu laufen.

Der Morgen des Rennens. Nachdem wir um 21:30 Uhr ins Bett gegangen waren, standen wir um 5 Uhr auf, frühstückten und machten uns auf zum Start. Alles war so einfach. Ich finde kleine Rennen toll. Das hat mir auch an Manchester gefallen. Boston war natürlich auch ein Highlight und dazu mein erster Marathon, aber unsere Geschichte über den Marathonbus, als wir uns fast in die Hose machten und mehr Schmerzen hatten als während des Marathons wird mir für immer in Erinnerung bleiben. Providence war so einfach. Keine Horde Menschen, aber trotzdem noch genug los. Herrlich!

Das Rennen. Während des Rennens hielt ich mir einige Dinge im Hinterkopf: Rat von unserem Trainer Joe und Debs Exel-Tabelle. Ich danke euch! Ihr habt mich definitiv in Gang gehalten. Der erste Tipp von Joe war: Die ersten 10 Meilen (16 Kilometer) müssen sich einfach anfühlen, und ich versuchte, mich daran zu halten. Ich lief zunächst mit der Tempogruppe 3:45, ließ sie nach einer Weile hinter mir und folgte Joes zweitem Rat: Lass das Tempo auf dich zukommen. Und so war’s: es kam! Deb (und Laurie) hatten mir ein paar Wochen vorher gut zugeredet und mir Mut gemacht, dass ich eine Boston-Qualifikationszeit laufen könnte. Deb schickte mir eine Excel-Tabelle mit Tempovorschlägen für alle 26,2 Meilen. Sie hatte einen Zieleinlauf von 3:36 geplant, was ich etwas aggressiv fand, aber im Endeffekt war das nicht so weit weg von meiner richtigen Zeit. Ich musste nur sichergehen, dass ich nicht so schnell startete. Meine erste Meile war 8:31 (5:18 pro Kilometer), etwas schneller als geplant, aber noch in einigermaßen Ordnung.

Die Strecke. Meine Erinnerungen an die Strecke sind nicht so lebhaft wie die von Boston, als ich meinen Bericht schrieb, weil ich mit der Strecke sehr vertraut war. An was ich mich allerdings erinnere, ist dass alles sehr angenehm war, allerdings nicht sonderlich landschaftlich reizvoll und es gab viel Radweg, was einen schnell laufen ließ und manchmal auch ein bisschen langweilig war, weil es lang erschien und dort wenige Zuschauer waren. Brendan hatte uns von einem Typen erzählt, der immer Musik lauf aufdrehte, die man dann beim Vorbeilaufen hören würde und dann später noch mal auf dem Radweg, viel weiter weg. Anscheinend hätte „Eye of the Tiger“ gespielt werden sollte, aber es kam der Titelsong von Rocky. Der ABSOLUTE WAHNSINN!

Worte in meinem Kopf. Als Läufer gehen einem während eines Rennens viele komische Dinge durch den Kopf. Ich redete mir ein, dass es wirklich keine Ausreden gäbe, nicht gut zu laufen, weil die Bedingungen einfach so perfekt waren. Wann würde ich wieder dieselbe Möglichkeit mit so gutem Training haben? Versau dir’s nicht! Diese Worte begleiteten mich bis ans Ende. Ich lief über die Matte für den Halbmarathon in ein bisschen weniger als 1:50 und wusste, dass ich gute Chancen auf 3:40 hatte, also lief ich weiter. Bei Meile 15 (Kilometer 24) wurde ich langsam müde und musste mir also kleine Ziele setzen. Ein Gel bei Meile 18 (Kilometer 29) oder auf 20 Meilen (32 Kilometer) runterzählen. Danach würde ich dann merken, ob die Wand kommt oder nicht (Erklärung: Die Wand bedeutet, dass man einen Punkt erreicht, an dem man nicht mehr kann, was bei einem Marathon nicht untypisch ist). Ich bin schon mal bei einem Halbmarathon gegen eine Wand gelaufen und es ist furchtbar. Alles danach ist nur noch eine Qual. Zum Glück kam die Wand nie.

Das Ende. Für die letzten knapp 10 Kilometer versuchte ich, ein konstantes Tempo zu halten und überholte viele Leute, unter anderem auch einen Jungen, der weinte, also rief ich ihm etwas Positives zu. Wenn man so spät viele Leute überholt, weiß man, dass es gut läuft. Bei Meile 23 (Kilometer 37) war ein kurzer Berg, den ich erklimmen musste, und während ich hochlief, zwang ich mich zu entspannen und sagte mir, dass es in Ordnung sei, den Berg langsam hochzulaufen. Du bist fast da. Bei Meile 24 (ca. Kilometer 39) wusste ich, dass ich unter 3:40 kommen könnte. Die letzten zwei Meilen (3 Kilometer) waren hart und es ging nur um mentale Stärke und mir einzureden, dass ich mir das nicht versauen sollte. Als ich um die letzte Ecke bog und das Ziel sah, konzentrierte ich mich auf die Uhr und rannte so schnell ich konnte. Ich hörte Urvi meinen Namen rufen und kam mit 3:39:52 ins Ziel, was später eine offizielle Zeit von 3:39:39 wurde. Urvi und ihr (Überraschungsgast) Mann Jesse waren dort, nahmen mich in den Arm und es war herrlich.

Marathons sind hart. Daran zweifelt keiner. Die Karten standen gut für mein Training, der Winter war der mildeste, den Boston seit Jahrzehnten erlebt hatte und ich hatte keine großen Verletzungen. Mit gutem Training und einem starken Willen kann ein Ziellauf wie meiner am Sonntag einer der unglaublichsten Dinge überhaupt sein und man kann das kaum beschreiben, wenn man es nicht selbst erlebt hat. Würde ich das noch mal machen? Ei logisch! Aber ich weiß auch, dass nicht jeder Marathon wie der Providence Marathon sein kann (soweit hatte ich zwei gute und einen sehr schlechten), aber nun schwelge ich erst mal in den Erinnerungen von letztem Wochenende. Weil Laufen toll ist. Wir sehen uns beim nächsten Rennen!

PS: Super gemacht, Brendan mit einer Laufzeit von 3:23 und Chris, ein weiterer Somerville Road Runner, der den vierten Platz in 2:38 belegte und das nur 3 Wochen nach einer Stressfraktur. Wie geht das???


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s